Types of Training

GI Bill® programs can be used for a wide range of education and training programs. The following provides a brief description of the types of training available.

  • Institutions of Higher Learning — degree granting institutions, such as four year universities, community colleges, and two year colleges.
  • Non College Degree — institutions that do not offer degrees, such as truck driving schools, cosmetology schools, adult education programs and high schools.
  • On-the-Job & Apprenticeship Training — organized training lasting six months or more while working.
  • Flight Training — VA will reimburse 60% of the approved costs for this type of training.
  • Correspondence — VA will reimburse you 55% of the approved costs for this type of training.
  • Licensing & Certification — VA can pay only for the cost of the tests, up to $2,000.00, and not other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification.  Chapter 33 is limited to one test.
  • National Testing Programs — national tests for admission to institutions of higher learning and those providing an opportunity for course credit at institutions of higher learning.
  • Entrepreneurship Training — Interested in owning your own business? VA will pay for programs offered by the SBCD or the Veterans Corporation.
  • Accelerated Payment — a lump sum payment of 60% of tuition and fees for certain high cost, high tech programs.
  • Co-op Training — Schools partnering with employers to allow you to attend classes in your chosen field while still working.
  • Work-Study Program — any student receiving VA education benefits who is attending school three-quarter time or more may work under this program at the school veterans' office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facilities, or at approved State employment offices.
  • Tuition Assistance Top Up — eligible persons must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department and be eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits. To be eligible for MGIB benefits, the person must be an MGIB - Active Duty participant and must have served at least 2 full years on Active Duty.
  • Tutorial Assistance — available to those receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or more rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary.